Tuesday, September 1, 2009

If you could care any more, I couldn't care less...

Since getting my work e-mail up and running, I've been subjected to a constant barrage of new mail notifications. As with any e-mail account, except for the most clandestine of super-secret alias accounts, it mostly just fills up with junk. The only difference between my home account and my work account is that, at home, the sender and subject fields are usually usually filled by randomly generated strings of alphanumeric characters, letting me know that I could increase the size of my junk, whereas at work I am flooded by messages from our 16th floor Receptionist / HR person notifying everybody in our department of different charitable opportunities.

Now, the issue here is not "I worked hard to earn my money and those filthy poor people should do the same," because that argument is invalid nine times out of ten. Afterall, not many employers that could afford to pay their employees a livable wage would seriously consider an applicant with no home address, and thus no shower, etc. Anyway, I digress... the issue here is, "how in the hell does forming a human chain across a pedestrain bridge help anybody?" It may be a weak metaphor for solidarity and interconnectedness, but that symbolic crap isn't putting any food on the table (or the curb, if you will).

Can we please stop pretending that we care about other people? Really, it's cute, but please stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment